Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Oh Garrett


It all started Saturday after Thanksgiving, poor Garrett started to throw up and have some nasty diapers (We are talking nasty...I will spare you the details)! He threw up and we thought he was better. The plan was to drive home during the night from Wisconsin. We started driving and didn't get too far and Garrett started throwing up again...we spent the next 6 hours cleaning up throw-up, changing diapers, changing clothes and basically keeping a eagle eye on the little boy int he backseat. Life continued this same story when we got home. FAST FORWARD to Wednesday, still losing it at both ends, poor boy! The saddest was when he was sleeping he would not even wake up, we would go in and check on him and he would either have the nasty diaper, which would require a bath or he had thrown up everywhere. Lots of laundry has been done at this point, lots of laundry. Went to Urgent Care, they gave him a anti-nausea medicine, effective time 8 hours. Oh and it was eight hours of no throw up but horrible diapers. He continued to stay sick and not be himself. The oddest thing was he would be fine for awhile and then all the sudden would say his stomach hurt and curl up on the couch...basically the warning for mom and dad to get ready. Early Friday morning...like 4 am early, he had his 3rd bath of the night and I looked at him and he just wasn't right, you could see his bones, ribs, collar bone, hip bones and back bone. That was the end of the line. On the phone with the Dr in the morning, up to this point this has continued on for 6 days now.....they see him right away and we are off to the hospital admitted for fluids and to watch the poor little guy. At the Dr's office they weigh him he has lost almost 5 pounds.....when you only weigh 35 pounds, 5 pounds is a big deal!
We spent the next 34 hours at the Children's Hospital. He took it like a trooper, he has never been a kid to fight Dr's he just submits to needles and checks no big deal. The first 8 hours he did nothing but lay on the bed. After 8 hours of fluid, and to give you an idea of how dehydrated he was it took him 8 hours of being on fluid to pee! He started to perk up. The picture above is right before being released. He ended up getting over 2000 ml of fluid he started to look like a puffy marshmallow. The give up us the okay to go home and the kid starts throwing up and have some more nasty diapers. The Dr's almost kept him another day but decided to let us go home. Fluids and lots of them and only crackers, the slowly introduce foods. Here we have been home about 3 days and he is not throwing up but will only eat one or two bits of something and will tell you his stomach hurts and then will curl up on the couch or floor. The diapers are still disgusting, I am just extremely glad he is in diapers! We go back in Friday...Dave and I don't know if we are fully convinced this is just an intestinal bug. We shall see. He is still not completely himself, he has periods of the day where he seems to really perk up but then he is quick to retreat back to the couch. The crazy thing is that no one else in the house has gotten the same sickness.....weird!
Now as he is laying on the couch he will say, "I sick, I go to the hospital to make me better." It didn't phase him to have needles and constant vitals taken. In fact I think he enjoyed being there, he had the nurses wrapped around his fingers. Especially after the first initial 8 hours where he did nothing. What is better then a place that would bring you stuff on command, movies, games, puzzles, drinks, etc. He had it all figured out.
We have a check-up Friday and if this continues hopefully it won't but the track record so far isn't looking so good. I feel bad for the little guy and although I love the having the extra snuggler, I miss my crazy kid! On a side note he looks cute in his little scrubs!
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Janae said...

Poor guy! I hope it isn't more than an intestinal bug, and that he gets better SOON. What a trooper!

Teresa said...

Oh I feel for him and for you! Hope some relief is not far off!

Kory Jane said...

Sorry Diantha, nothing worse than having a sick child, and one that won't get better quick at that. I hope that if he doesn't get better soon that they do test and find out what the deal is. Did he get the flu shot this year?

Keri said...

Wow, that's crazy. Poor all of you! I sure hope he gets over it soon or they figure something out. Jenna's had nasty diapers for going on 2 weeks now, but I have no idea why.

Libby said...

I thnk I would be more persistant. We went through something similiar with Ashlee a few years ago it lasted about 5 days and she was hospitalized, but after being released from the hospital she was doing better. Have you had his appendics checked? Hope things get better. Follow your gut. Demand more answers.

heidi said...

wow, poor little guy! and i'm sure that's been so hard on you. three times in the bath in one night, that's exaustin, so i'm so so sorry and i really hope it's getting better!

Tom said...

That sounds brutal-the anti-nausea medicine(most likely Zofran)is wonderful. Every time one of us starts vomiting we get that prescribed immediately. Hopefully, for everyones sake he gets feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

relief - relief soon for you both soon I pray.. been there don't like it.. so I feel for ya -deeply!
thanks for keping us updated..